Saturday 19 April 2014

Letter number 14 - London, Folkstone


Letter written on "Licoricine" (acts like magic) note paper.  Printed around a white window is: "Cures Coughs Colds and similar complaints. Painting novelty. The Aquagraph. Acts like magic. You will be surprised. Directions: Get your water colours, or ink, or Mother's blue bag, or even pencil will do.  The blue bag must be wet. Use an old bit of rag with the ink, or paint with the water colours, from top to bottom of blank space and with magical results.  If you have any difficulty, write to: Mandall and Co. Stepney Rd, Newcastle on Tyne. Provisional patent applied for."
 

Note: contained in very small formal envelope without stamps, postmark or other markings.
 

[starts on obverse]  'and I still have to find an envelope'                                   11/12/24
 

Dear All,

Do not get a shock when you see my new paper but the fact is that am on my way to Paris and on reading the paper in the train saw a mail was going out today at 6pm will post this from Folkstone if possible and let you know that I am still O.K.   

Bill has gone to Cornwall and I join him on 23rd after seeing a bit of the continent.   

London has been under a fog for 36 hours now and it is a wonderful sight to see the electric signs shining dimly through the soupy stuff at midday.  It is supposed to be the worst fog for many years and I can tell you it is none too nice to [take/toxic] anyway.  I have still been flying around London and on Sunday went to see some friends of the Treloars at Bushey on Sat we saw the old AJF headquarters and ye olde curiosity Shoppe down Portsmouth St.   

On Monday we saw Cambridge Uni and went all over the Colleges which of course was most interesting and enjoyable.  On Tuesday I spent the morning fixing up this trip and in the afternoon saw Oxford/Cambridge football match.  It was a good match and O won 11 to 6 and I barracked for the winners.   

Yesterday I spent at the fat cattle show and saw some of the King's prize herd which of course won out there too.  They have some great animals in this country.  On Thursday last week we went to the Tower of London and had a great time with the Crown Jewels etc contained in that wonderful [old] place.  That is all that has happened since last I wrote I think so will leave the subject of sightseeing and go on to generalistics instead.   

We are having quite a good time still enjoying London more every day I think as the place seems to grow on one I come back here on 20th and leave for Cornwall on 23rd and then back to sail on 2nd Jan so this is one of the last letters you will be getting from me as I should be home about 2 weeks after you receive this.  Well hoping you people are all well and thanking the Strand Magazine for the paper I will close. Love regards
Gordon 

 

[superscript: 'I summoned an envelope from a chap in the carriage but the inventory is not too good ']