Saturday 19 April 2014

Letter number 18 - Colombo, Perth


Letter number 18.

Perth. S.S. Ormonde 1st Feb 1925
 

Dear Mother,  

Sunday morning and two days out of Fremantle so as I feel somewhere near the mood to write letters I think perhaps it is as well to do it now as concentration of thought on board ship is hard work.   

I do not think there is much news and anyway what there is will easily wait a day or two and then I will be able to tell you by word of mouth.  

There is one thing though that cannot wait and that is the making certain of you bringing  that fiver to the boat as I am running short having bought quite a few things since leaving England and so have run up the bill that will have to be paid to the Customs.   

So far we have had a good trip with very little bad weather but of course have hit into some very hot stuff through the Red Sea and Colombo.  the latter place is great but too hot to live in for long.  We had about 18 hours there and did the Lavinia trip and danced at night at the Galle Race hostel.   

Fred Coward is on board with his wife and they are both very nice indeed they sit at our table.  We also have the wife of the one time owner of Nightwatch the Cup winner so it is rather a distinguished gathering.  

We have had a prince and a Duke on the ship and even now have a few of England's blue bloods.   

I am writing to the office today also asking for a few days extra leave as I am supposed to start work again the day I land but will ask for an extension till 23rd so as to get over the sea trip and also settle down.  Further I suppose they will send me to the bush again so will tell all my tales before going.   

That is the lot I think that will to keep so will now finish this and start of the one to the office.  I will wire of course from Fremantle and you will receive it before this letter.  I got three from you at Colombo and sorry to hear of Jonie's and Harry's bad luck.   

Hope you are all well and looking forward to seeing you on 12th.   

Love from  

Gordon 

DO NOT forget the fiver.