Saturday 19 April 2014

Letter number 17 - Cornwall


"Bodilly"
Wendron,
Helston,
Cornwall. 
23/12/24
[2 pages, small envelope, no postmark]  

Dear All,
Back again from gay Paris and down in Cornwall for Xmas where I am having a great time.  Bill's relations sure are kind hearted and they cannot do enough for one.  I leave this family on Sunday next and go to some others and from there I go back to London on the night of 1st and sail for home on 3rd so this will be the last letter you will receive from me before I return so this will be short and so will give you details later.   

I had a great time in Paris but was glad to be back in an English speaking country again and my return to London was like coming home.   

There are only a few instructions necessary I think and the chief one is to bring that fiver along to the boat when I come back as I may find difficulty in getting Australian notes on the boat and besides one never can tell and I may be broke.  Also have a car there as I do not want much to have the trouble of finding a carter as I only have one trunk a suitcase and a small parcel or two and therefore not worth while making two jobs of shipment home.   

Everyone is very busy here now and feasts are the order of the day.  Xmas commenced last Sunday and finishes next Sunday so imagine the turkeys, ducks and chooks that have suffered.   

Bill goes to town (Helston) today and we are bringing out the new car (Ford) he has bought.  He is slowly improving I think but will take some time to regain his normal health and I do not think he will return much before our summer next year. 

We must away and decorate the church so will have to close this and leave the news for a day or two until I return.  Hoping you are all well as I am at my best.   

Love to all,
 

Gordon